Tony Ferguson is a peculiar guy. There have been small signs all week that something wasn’t right with him. Today it’s been reported that his wife has filed for a temporary restraining order against him.
MMAFighting.com covered the story:
Cristina Ferguson released the following statement Friday, via her attorney Jeffrey L. Heath:
“Tony Ferguson is a good husband and good father to our son. The current legal proceedings are a part of a process to ensure that Tony will receive the help necessary to continue being the best possible, as well as to pursue his passion and career as a UFC champion fighter. All positive well wishes are sincerely appreciated and I hope our privacy will be respected.”
- Per incident reports from the Santa Ana police, there have been multiple domestic disturbances reported in regards to the Fergusons’ home over the last 14 months. No arrests were made, nor were there any charges issued for any of these reported incidents, which are as follows:
- On March 8, police responded to a call after Tony allegedly changed the locks to his home in Santa Ana while his wife was visiting her parents. Also at the home was the couple’s 2-year-old son. Per the report, Cristina “was not concerned with the child’s safety in being with the father.” A welfare check was conducted, but there was no crime or custody order. Cristina noted to police that Tony had a Taser at the home.
- A welfare check was also conducted on Feb. 19, when Tony allegedly tore apart his home and made “several threats” that prompted his wife and son to leave the residence. According to an unidentified female, Tony had not slept for three days and he “believed someone placed a [computer] chip in his leg.” The report also mentions that the unidentified man who called the police had spoken to Tony and that the fighter “believed someone was inside his walls.” The unidentified female told police that Tony’s trainer also could not get him to leave the house to see a doctor.
- On Feb. 16, Cristina called the police to report that she was concerned about her husband’s well-being due to his refusal to go to the hospital for an evaluation. It’s unclear what Cristina’s exact concern was, but the report includes the sentence, “He’s been [redacted] lately and just getting worse.” Cristina told police that Tony “kept throwing ‘holy water’ at her.” Cristina made this call from a park and was later advised to “stay with family for a few days.” In the report, Tony is described as “not a danger to self or others” and “not gravely disabled.” He was advised by officers to go see a doctor, which he agreed to at the time.
- Two other instances occurred in January 2018. On the 23rd of that month, Tony’s father is reported to have been kicked out of the house. He told police that Tony was “out of control.” On the 24th, Ferguson reported overnight that his wife and son were missing.
Hopefully Tony and his family can come out of this okay. Fans are dying to be entertained by his fights again but a return date is way up in the air right now.